STATEMENT OF FAITH
At the Toronto International Christian Church, we believe that:
1. The Bible is the inspired Word of God and is the final authority in life and doctrine. (2 Timothy 3:16)
2. There is one God, eternally existing in three persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. (Romans 8, Ephesians 1:13-14)
3. God made man to have a relationship with him. (Genesis 1:27)
4. God, out of love for his children, sent His son Jesus Christ to die on a cross for our sins and rise from the dead. (Romans 3:22-24, 1 Corinthians 15:1-8)
5. Christ has all authority on earth and will return and reign forever. (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18)
6. We are saved by grace and through faith in Jesus Christ, and God rewards those who earnestly seek Him. (Ephesians 2:1-10, Hebrews 11:1-6)
7. All have sinned and are separated from God, but all can be saved. (Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23)
8. We are saved by grace, and salvation is available to all who put their faith in Jesus as Lord and Savior, who repent of their sins, who confess their faith, and who are baptized. (Hebrews 11:1-6, Ephesians 2:1-10, Romans 10:9, Acts 2:38, John 3:16, 2 Corinthians 7:11)
9. As Christians, God calls us to continue obeying his Word and to live a life of good works. (John 8:31-32, Ephesians 2:10)
10. The church is the body of Christ on earth, empowered by the Holy Spirit to continue the task of reaching the lost and discipling the saved, helping them to become fully devoted followers of Christ. (Ephesians 4:1-16)
“They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.” – Acts 2:42-47
We, the leadership of the Toronto International Christian Church look forward to tremendous growth spiritually, emotionally and numerically in the years to come. Our goal is to be a church full of disciples that love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength and that love each other just as Jesus loved us (Matthew 22:37-40, John 13:34-35). We want to lead the way in laying down our lives for each other and emphasize the need for every disciple to be a committed servant in the body of Christ (1 John 3:16, Mark 10:43-45). We want to reach out within our community and share our faith, so that through us, God can make disciples of all the nations living around us (Matthew 28:18-20) and bring them into a loving, serving and maturing body of Christ (Ephesians 4:11-16).With this in mind we would like to emphasize the following 7 areas:
1. Worship – The primary function of the family of God is to be a worshiping community in attitude and lifestyle (Matthew 4:10, John 4:23-24, Romans 12:1-2). In our worship services we want to experience the presence of God as we express honor, gratitude, awe, humility and brokenness before Him. Our walk with God should be a daily and consistent focus.
2. Holiness – A desire to be like Him should flow from effective worship. God desires us to come out and be separate so we can show the world his holiness (Leviticus 11:45, 1 Thessalonians 4:7). We believe holiness is bigger than just avoiding sin & should focus on developing a taste and passion for God and a hunger for righteousness. Jesus must be the Lord of our lives.
3. Family – We believe that Christianity is a one-another religion. We are the family of God! We share a common faith, common blood and a common love for God and each other. Our commitment is to love, forgive, encourage, serve, lay down our lives, and to share our possessions and our hearts with each other (Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 12, Galatians 5:13-26).
4. Discipling – We are committed, not to only baptizing people into Christ (Acts 2:38, Ephesians 4:1-7) but to growing, training and equipping disciples for kingdom-life (Ephesians 4:11-16). We recognize the biblical mandate to help each other grow and we continue to believe in accountability, seeking and giving biblical advice and corporate prayer.
5. Serving – Our church is a church built on the biblical concept of ministering to the world’s hurts and needs. Jesus’ goal in life was to give up his life for others (John 12:24-26). The servant-heart of sacrifice – showing concern for others and a willingness to give up time and money – is deeply rooted in OT and NT themes.
6. Evangelism – We are committed to testify to the world that Jesus is our Lord and Savior (1 Peter 2:9-10; 1 Peter 3:15). Evangelism should be personal and natural. We will provide small groups as well as larger meetings to encourage a deep commitment to sharing the good news.
7. Benevolence – We are committed to making a difference in our world around us. Jesus taught that his followers are the salt, light, and leaven in a world that needs to elevate its morals and standards (Matthew 5:13-16). We want to influence our neighbors through marriage help, child-rearing classes, generosity, meals, adoptions, helping widows and orphans, the poor and sick both in our community and in our world.